Monday, June 1, 2009

Schools Re-Opened


Mom, let me not tell you the weight of my bag,
you may feel bad.
You are just feeling good looking at me
going to the school.

Mom, I will not bother you.
That’s why I dint disapprove when you announced,
‘I’m going to St. X-mate School’.
In fact I wanted to tell you,
“I will go to Radhabai which is nearby the house”
But I kept tight-lipped,
because , you were just feeling happy looking at me,
getting ready for the school.

Mom, school is too far, books are too many
too many classes, lots of homework.
Mom, I try hard to forget you there.

Let me not tell you,
“I can’t continue going to the school”.
You want to tell Jaya aunty, Joseph aunty
that I go to St. X-mate School.

I feel many a time to ask you a question,
“Was your school bag also heavy like this?
But I make futile attempt and restrict myself
looking at you, as you just feel proud-
being sent me to St. X-mate.

I decided, let me not tell you
how heavy my bag is!
I know Mom, I cant help myself nor you!
All that I can do is to take-
revenge on my child…

Pk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The poem is…
innocent and nice until the last stanza. The last two lines are difficult to digest. The child's wish to not to be another 'X' in the conglomeration of the mass is welcome, but the last two lines.

Criticism
The entire wish that the poem expresses from the beginning are shattered at the end. If the taking of revenge is the destiny of the child then the poem is bad, not in form but in intention. For, when we look psychologically, no child would have a conception of having a child, let alone the taking of revenge on it. The authorial intervention then is evident. The poem, therefore, cease to be the feelings of the child. Rather, it looks like you are forcing your opinion on it.
Chiru

kavya said...

this poem, along with explaining the child's polite feelings abt d school, also trys to make a gentle comparision between rights and wrongs of family and self prestige.. specially the lines "You want to tell Jaya aunty, Joseph aunty
that I go to St. X-mate School". the poem also explains abt the global issue which is prevailing now in the lines.."I’m going to St. X-mate School’.
In fact I wanted to tell you,
“I will go to Radhabai which is nearby the house”
i expect more and more poems and articles in ur blog sir..